The Cyborg Connection – Episode 006
[May Contain Adult Language]
The movie Cyborg threatened the very livelihoods of those it absorbed. The film is a hodgepodge of homages and set pieces from other failed films. Like its namesake, Cyborg itself is a hybrid creature, strangely impervious to damage due to the perverse modifications made to it.
This movie was written in a weekend by the director’s cat.
How much of this summary is true? Listen to “The Cyborg Connection” to find out.
In today’s episode we’re joined by Scott Holmquist who braved watching, shall we say, not Jean-Claude Van Damme’s finest work with us. But the verdict on this Wilmington production was not all bad. We identified many area locations used in the film, like Wrightsville Beach, and the county landfill. Watching this movie one can marvel at what had to be one of the shortest feature-length scripts that ever made it into production.
This movie interestingly ties into our previous movie discussion, “The Long Tail of the Ninja Turtle”.
Sean’s Serious Sausage Egg & Cheese Biscuit with a Side of Fruit Review
In this episode Sean also continues with his obsession. An obsession which dangerously borders on madness. His quest to review every sausage egg and cheese biscuit in the tri-state area this month has brought him to Wilmington’s classic breakfast diner: Jimbo’s.
You can now catch up on the running sausage biscuit tally by following @sausagebiscuitreport on Instagram. If you dare.
- Season 1 wrap-up
- Cyborg pre-talk
- Sean’s Serious Sausage Egg & Cheese Biscuit with a Side of Fruit Review
- East German gulags
The Rise and Fall of Cannon Films
- Troma Films and The Toxic Avenger
- From dubbing skin flicks to making movies based on action figures
- The 1970 film Joe with Peter Boyle hunting hippies
- Cannon’s obsession with making an opera
- Something Something 2: Electric Boogaloo
- Cannon gets their hooks into Superman 4: The Quest for Peace
- The rights to Spiderman and Captain America
- Masters of the Universe 2: Cyborg
- Script written in one weekend
- Control f: punch, change to kick
- Jean-Claude Van Damme is a national treasure
- Jean-Claude Van Damme did not appear in National Treasure
- Movie was made out of the wreckage of Masters of the Universe 2 and Spiderman
Reactions to the Movie
- Confusing editing
- Plot makes no sense
- Grasp of geography is dubious
- Did any character have a name?
- Why was there a cyborg in this movie?
- Effects and costumes were not all bad
- Random horror movie elements
The Legacy of Cyborg
- Cyborg 2: Electric Boogaloo
- Angelina Jolie’s first leading role
- Similarities to Troll 2
- Movie avoided an X rating due to violence
- Cyborg “borrowed” from a lot of movies
- A hand was chopped off
- A sewer was slowly entered
- The full split trump card
- Castle Hayne house from TMNT?
- Wrightsville Beach
- An alley downtown, and maybe Castle Street
- The landfill
The Cyborg Dilemma: A Quiz
- Shocking trivia about the film is revealed
(Disclosure: Midmost Coast can make a small commission for product links.)