In this episode we are joined by two competitive skee-ball players to talk about Wilmington’s local Brewskee-Ball League and the incoming national tournament (aka The BEEB) inbound to the Battleship and Battleship Park.
The Wilmington Brewskee-Ball League currently competes at Orton’s Pool Room on in-season Tuesdays. The BEEB, the national Brewskee-Ball tournament event, is scheduled to take over the Battleship and Battleship Park the weekend of June 10 – 13, 2016.
Sausage Biscuit Report
Also in this podcast episode we double-down on our commitment to Sean’s obsession with reviewing every local breakfast establishment’s take on the sausage biscuit with fruit side in a segment tentatively called “Sean’s Late Night Smooth Jazz Sausage Biscuit Lounge.” This month’s insane mission brought Sean to longtime downtown breakfast institution White Front Breakfast House.
- We start a rivalry between the boardwalks of the Jersey Shore and Carolina Beach
- Sean recalls Wildwood, New Jersey and a childhood journey across the great sands of the Jersey desert
- Sean and Allen find a way to talk about Star Trek in a show dedicated to skee-ball
Sean’s Late Night Smooth Jazz Sausage Biscuit Lounge
- Sean visits local institution White Front Breakfast House
- Everyone feels uncomfortable with Sean’s descriptions of fruit
- Fruit Side: 8 out of 10
- Sausage Biscuit: 4 out of 10
- Overall Rating: 6 out of 10
Meet the Guests
- Mary Patman, data analyst by day, SKEE.E.O by night.
- Lauren Henderson, C.F.O by day, Brewskee-Ball competitor by night
- The secret council of skee-ball scientists
- Skee-ball leads to true love
- Blue Post was the original home of the Wilmington Brewskee-Ball League
- Point Pleasant versus Wildwood rivalry
Getting to Know Brewskee-Ball
- Every SKEE.E.O. gets a crash course in electrical engineering
- Orton’s Pool Room is the current league night location on Tuesdays
- Plans for expansion
- How does a match work?
- Does bowling + darts = skee-ball?
- The scoring app
Jargon, Strategy, People and Places
- The full circle
- Crunching the numbers
- Evolving strategies
- Fisk is a magical cookie man
- Average score inflation
- The Hundo Dilemma
- I’m tellin’ y’all it’s a skeebotage
The BEEB and the Battleship
- How do you move nine skee-ball machines?
- Austin to Wilmington roadtrip!
- The main stage at the park, the finals on the deck of the Battleship
- How The BEEB came into beebing
- The World Mug Tournament
- The Final Pour
- League locations: Brooklyn, Austin, San Francisco, Wilmington, Philadelphia, Los Angeles
- The Texas Piñata Massacre
- The Full Circle Bar
The Trademark Lawsuit
- Legal dust-up with Skeeball, Inc.
- What else would you call skee-ball?
- National media coverage and making peace
The BEEB Sponsors, Logistics and Schedule
- Hearts Apart non-profit sponsor
- Tek Mountain sponsors the water taxi
- Online BEEB repository
- Events at Orton’s, Hell’s Kitchen and the Brooklyn Arts Center
- How do people qualify for nationals?
- Trace Face!
- Wilmington punching above their weight class
- The NSBL is coming
- Han Rolo
- Snakes on a Lane
- Official business skee-ball meetings
- Free Skee at Orton’s
- What’s in the safe? Another, heavier safe
So You Think You Know How to Skee-Ball Quiz
- Guest is pitted against guest with chances to steal, competing for a brief moment of serendipity