The BEEB Takes Wilmington – Episode 003
In this episode we are joined by Wilmington Brewskee-Ball League SKEE.E.O Mary Patman and longtime league member Lauren Henderson to talk about the world of competitive skee-ball.
The Wilmington Brewskee-Ball League currently competes at Orton’s Pool Room on in-season Tuesdays. The BEEB, the national Brewskee-Ball tournament event, is scheduled to take over the Battleship and Battleship Park the weekend of June 10 – 13, 2016.
Also in this podcast episode we double-down on our commitment to Sean’s obsession with reviewing every local breakfast establishment’s take on the sausage biscuit with fruit side in a segment tentatively called “Sean’s Late Night Smooth Jazz Sausage Biscuit Lounge.” This month’s insane mission brought Sean to longtime downtown breakfast institution White Front Breakfast House.
How long into the show will it take Sean and Allen to somehow go off on a tangent about Star Trek in a show about skee-ball? Listen to the show to find out the predictable answer.
- We start a rivalry between the boardwalks of the Jersey Shore and Carolina Beach
- Sean recalls Wildwood, New Jersey and a childhood journey across the great sands of the Jersey desert
- Sean and Allen find a way to talk about Star Trek in a show dedicated to skee-ball
Sean’s Late Night Smooth Jazz Sausage Biscuit Lounge
- Sean visits local institution White Front Breakfast House
- Everyone feels uncomfortable with Sean’s descriptions of fruit
- Fruit Side: 8 out of 10
- Sausage Biscuit: 4 out of 10
- Overall Rating: 6 out of 10
Meet the Guests
- Mary Patman, data analyst by day, SKEE.E.O by night.
- Lauren Henderson, C.F.O by day, Brewskee-Ball competitor by night
- The secret council of skee-ball scientists
- Skee-ball leads to true love
- Blue Post was the original home of the Wilmington Brewskee-Ball League
- Point Pleasant versus Wildwood rivalry
Getting to Know Brewskee-Ball
- Every SKEE.E.O. gets a crash course in electrical engineering
- Orton’s Pool Room is the current league night location on Tuesdays
- Plans for expansion
- How does a match work?
- Does bowling + darts = skee-ball?
- The scoring app
Jargon, Strategy, People and Places
- The full circle
- Crunching the numbers
- Evolving strategies
- Fisk is a magical cookie man
- Average score inflation
- The Hundo Dilemma
- I’m tellin’ y’all it’s a skeebotage
The BEEB and the Battleship
- How do you move nine skee-ball machines?
- Austin to Wilmington roadtrip!
- The main stage at the park, the finals on the deck of the Battleship
- How The BEEB came into beebing
- The World Mug Tournament
- The Final Pour
- League locations: Brooklyn, Austin, San Francisco, Wilmington, Philadelphia, Los Angeles
- The Texas Piñata Massacre
- The Full Circle Bar
The Trademark Lawsuit
- Legal dust-up with Skeeball, Inc.
- What else would you call skee-ball?
- National media coverage and making peace
The BEEB Sponsors, Logistics and Schedule
- Hearts Apart non-profit sponsor
- Tek Mountain sponsors the water taxi
- Online BEEB repository
- Events at Orton’s, Hell’s Kitchen and the Brooklyn Arts Center
- How do people qualify for nationals?
- Trace Face!
- Wilmington punching above their weight class
- The NSBL is coming
- Han Rolo
- Snakes on a Lane
- Official business skee-ball meetings
- Free Skee at Orton’s
- What’s in the safe? Another, heavier safe
So You Think You Know How to Skee-Ball Quiz
- Guest is pitted against guest with chances to steal, competing for a brief moment of serendipity