I’m a Firestarter, Twisted Firestarter – Episode 022
This month we watch and talk about the film that built the movie industry in Wilmington, North Carolina. Firestarter starred a young Drew Barrymore, and was based on a novel by Stephen King. It was produced by Dino De Laurentiis who went on to found DEG, which present day is now EUE/Screen Gems.
We also talk about the complex relationship between Stephen King and the film and TV adaptations of his works.
Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Corner
At the top of the show you can hear the long awaited return of Sean’s Sausage Egg and Cheese Biscuit with a Side of Fruit Review Corner.
How delicious was this breakfast sandwich? Listen to the show to find out. Follow @sausagebiscuitreport on Instagram for late breaking sausage news.
- Firestarter and Sean’s outdoor theater
- Stephen King and filmmaking
- Sean reviews the biscuit sandwich at College Diner
- “The Shop” is a reference to MKUltra
- Secret government organization gives people powers with a syrum
- Two subjects fall in love, gain mind powers, and give birth to a daughter with pyrokinesis
- The Shop hunts them down, killing the mother, played by Heather Locklear
- Andy and Charlie, father and daughter, elude them with the aid of their powers
- George C. Scott hunts them and shoots them with tranquilizer darts
- The are taken to the “off-brand Whitehouse,” headquarters for The Shop
- John Rainbird (George C. Scott’s character) befriends Charlie
- In a showdown at the very flammable barn around a lot of flammable hay, Andy is killed
- Charlie rampages and kills everyone
- Spoiler warning: everything above is a spoiler
- Martin Sheen returns from The Dead Zone, another Stephen King adaptation
- George C. Scott just wanted to hang out with Martin Sheen, didn’t like the film
- A young Drew Barrymore, fresh off of the successful E.T. film, plays Charlie
- David Keith of An Officer and a Gentleman plays Andy
- Heather Locklear plays Vicky, the mother
- Freddie Jones, of Dune “fame,” makes an appearance
- Shot in and around Wilmington, North Carolina
- Orton Plantation was The Shop headquarters
- Front Street of downtown Wilmington is supposed to be New York City
- Chimney Rock and Lake Lure, North Carolina are featured
- Oakland Plantation in Bladen County, North Carolina was probably the farmhouse
Stephen King in Film and Television
- Bad movies, why do they happen?
- Tommy Wiseau and The Room
- Budget problems with Dino De Laurentiis productions
- The 2017 release of IT became most successful box office horror release
- The Dark Tower, not so much
- Stephen King has beef with Stanley Kubrick over his iconic The Shining adaptation
- Stephen King decides to “fix” the adaptation with a crappy three part miniseries in 1997
- “The burger and fries of literature” versus artsy-fartsy
- Maximum Overdrive was Stephen King’s directoral debut
- Martin Sheen filled in for Burt Lancaster
- Drew Barrymore was eight years old in the film
- A TV series is planned based on Firestarter
- How did the farmer clean up the burned corpses?
- Firestarter kicks off the film industry in Wilmngton
- Don’t forget to Feed the Kitty
- Share the show on social media
- Prepping for Cucalorus 2017