In April of 2016 the USS North Carolina, which watches over Wilmington’s downtown from the Cape Fear River, turns 75 years old. We revisit World War II from the perspective of this battleship, and follow it throughout history from weapon of war to memorial.
- In the introduction we perpetuate the urban legend that the Statue of Liberty is technically in New Jersey.*
- More than one attorney general is called a flock of attorneys general.
A Lot of History
- The Washington Naval Treaty and the real cause of Japan’s entry into World War II? Not really but it sounds pretty tantalizing.
- The USS North Carolina vs. The Tirpitz? More like Nopitz.
- Technical talk.
- The Pacific theater and the end of World War II.
- School children take over the mothballed battleship, remain at large for years.
- USS North Carolina arrives in Wilmington.
Trivia, Small Town Mysteries and Movies
- Where did the movies on the Battleship go?
- Why do so many derelict vessels sink during towing?
- Why does a storm make a ship travel through time under certain conditions?
- Mario Van Peebles?
- What does the future hold for the USS North Carolina and other retired naval vessels?
Pop Quiz Hot Shot
- Allen unfairly makes Sean look bad with the official Battleship quiz.
- The ship’s compliment included a court jester, a ferrier, and a bookbinder