A Serious Art Attack – Episode 011
[Episode Contains Adult Language]
Midmost Coast is joined by artists Darren Mulvenna and Aundrea Wilson to talk about their ongoing work and current shows. Painter Darren Mulvenna talks about his project Mimicri, which involves jewelry dedicated to saving imperiled pollinator species. Sculptor Aundrea Wilson gives us a preview of her organic and surreal 3D pieces which are currently on display at the Leland Cultural Arts Center.
In addition to the online storefront you can find the Mimicri line this Saturday, December 3rd at the 2016 WILMA Expo.
Aundrea Wilson’s work is currently on display at the Leland Cultural Arts Center as part of her show “The Merge,” along with Bev Haley’s show “Dreaming in Color.” The shows will continue through December 29 and the official reception is December 8 from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM.
The interview with Darren begins around 08:55 and Aundrea joins us around the 32:30 mark.
Sean Gallagher and the Quest for the Holy Sausage Biscuit
Famous Toastery built a restaurant in Wilmington, causing Sean to immediately teleport on premises. He said nothing but “Sausage biscuit. Side of fruit” over and over until he was served. He ate his food wordlessly, nodded, then vanished in a puff of smoke. This all took place during morning prep before the doors were even open.
How did the restaurant chain’s take on this breakfast sandwich hold up to Sean’s exacting standards? Find out in this episode.
- Sean reviews Famous Toastery’s sausage egg and cheese biscuit
- We segue from the Segway
- Episode name brainstorming
- Setting up the interviews
Artist Darren Mulvenna
- Darren’s artistic bona fides
- Experimenting with prints
- Mimicri as a vehicle to promote the cause of imperiled pollinators
- The Pollinator Partnership
- Butterflies, moths, beetles and bats
- Line of guitar picks
- Save the Beatles!
- The monarch earring line
- The Monarch Massacre
- Pesticide use and the Zika response
- How it’s made
- Green packaging
- The WILMA Expo
- Hurricane Matthew relief event
- American Samoa inspired series
Artist Aundrea Wilson
- Artistic and professional background
- The sculpting process
- A show about merging and identity
- “Mother Mother,” a unique piece utilizing negative space and carpenter bees
- The Leland Cultural Arts Center
- The watercolor work of Bev Haley
- There will be beer, wine and art at the opening
- Upcoming show at Acme Art Studios in June 2017
Late Breaking Tom Hanks News
- This segment will not be returning
Wrapping Up and Next Show Talk
- Beautiful fonts!
- Sean’s shout out to models
- The art scene around Wilmington
- The Fourth Friday Gallery Walk
- Plan to crash the 2017 flotilla
- The looming threat of Dawson’s Creek
- History brainstorming
- How not to dispose of asbestos
Preview of the Secret After Hours Club Extras
- In which something was edited out
Aundrea Wilson’s captivating ceramic work can be seen online at aundreawilson.com.
Here is the official website for the Leland Cultural Arts Center, also known as the LCAC.
Acme Art Studios is located at 711 North 5th Street in downtown Wilmington, NC.
Sean spoke very highly of Famous Toastery’s sausage biscuit offering.
Tavern Law and Bourgie Nights will be hosting a benefit for flooding victims of hurricane Matthew. The Star News reports on One Tree Hill’s James Lafferty serving as guest bartender for the event.